Hello and Welcome

Welcome - from Heide Hay

I will be posting many things related to food preparation and food preservation here.   Our goal will be to produce and use as many of own i...

Monday, December 24, 2018

Creekside Short Ribs ( or How I finally truly learned to make beef)

Creekside Farm Beef Short Ribs
6 servings

3 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
3 tablespoons butter
1 large sweet onion, halved and sliced
2 fooled you jalapeno peppers *
1 carrot thinly slice
1 clove minced garlic
dash thyme
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1 tablespoon of "better than boullion" beef (what I call liquid cow)**
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place ribs on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.  Roast  30 - 40 minutes until browned, turing once halfway through.

While that is roasting, in a dutch oven, heat butter over a medium heat.  Add onion, jalapeno, and carrot. Cook  and stir util tender, about 10 minutes.  Add garic and thyme and cook another minute to release the garlic fragrance. Stir in the flour until well blended. Gardually stir in the broth, liquid cow and wine. Add the parsley.

Transfer the ribs to the dutch oven.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer,covered, 2 - 2 1/2 hours until the meat is tender.


* Fooled you Jalapenos are one of the many peppers we grow out here at Creekside farm. They look like any other jalapeno but do NOT have the heat. Then why bother you ask? The jalpeno flavor adds a zip of fresh bright green flavor to what ever you add them too.  I pickle them for sandwiches, nachos, pizza, salads, really the list is endless.

**I've mentioned this product before. Better than Boullion is in your soup aisle at the store and comes in chicken, beef and veggie.  It is a semi liquid concentrate that adds flavor like crazy.  





1 comment:

  1. Beef. It's a simple things for most folks. Having company over and don't know what to make? Toss a beef roast in the oven! Easy and delicious right? Wrong!!



    For me, beef has always been difficult. I tried my mom's recipe that I grew up on and everyone else's mom's recipes too. I tried so many recipes from magazines, cookbooks, websites,you name it, and I have tried it. I tried browning first and not browning at all. I tried very hot oven and low and slow. I tried with liquids in the pan and dry. In all cases the flavor was wonderful and it proves beyond doubt that I could make the most tasty shoe leather in the world.



    But I had to keep trying. And we can all be thankful that I did.



    This beef comes out everything you want beef to be. The first bite of makes my husband's eyes roll back in his head. It is fork tender. It is succulent and rich. It is brown and beefy and makes you want to lick you plate to get all the gravy (did I mention the gravy??).



    Beef. It really is what's for dinner at our house now too.



    ReplyDelete

Ask Me Anything