Hello and Welcome

Welcome - from Heide Hay

I will be posting many things related to food preparation and food preservation here.   Our goal will be to produce and use as many of own i...

Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Yams, the right way



I receive several cooking magazines in the mail and belong to several more sites online. The result of this is my favorite cookbook. It is a large photo album, the kind with the clear coatings you peel back then put your photos in and reseal the page. Mine has recipes that looked good enough to save. David has asked me why I don't organize it into categories so I can find things easier. What he doesn't realize is that the scattered-mish-mash makes me look at each one again.

About 3 times a year I go through the book carefully and figure out which things I havn't looked at for a long time. They get replaced with whatever is currently making me excited. Every time I do this it's like a brand new cook book to look through and decide what I want to try next.

Sometimes you run into a recipe that you just know you have try and it doesn't even make it into the book! That happened over the last few days finishing up tonight with the most decadent yam dish ever.

Over the weekend I was checking out a bunch of sites that were highlighting holiday dishes.  This dish was so simple I didn't even write it down. I knew I had all the ingredients to make them but other dinner plans kept getting used until tonight.  We both wanted more and were pretty bummed to realize there weren't any.  It is my new favorite.

YAMS

Select yams that are about the size you would want to serve, 1 per person. Think the size of a large regular baker. Poke them good along the top with a small knife or fork,put them in a shallow dish  and pop em in a 350 degree oven. Bake them til they are tender when you stab them with a fork, again using the amount of time you use when baking potatoes as a guide.

When they are just about ready,mix together some butter and brown sugar, Mix equal parts butter and brown sugar using a couple tablespoons or more per potato depending how sweet you prefer.  Take potatoes out of the oven ans cut a slit across the top and fluff the flesh with a fork.

Add the brown sugar/butter and then stuff the opening with little marshmallows. Put it back in the oven for about 5 minutes until the marshmallow puffs and browns.

The result is sweet and rich with a crunch from the toasted marshmallow. This could be dessert.  Or a late night snack.  Or a lunch.  Really I can't wait to go get some more yams!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ask Me Anything